Monday, February 10, 2014

I Can See Clearly Now - I See MYSELF

One of the activities I used to enjoy doing to relax was drawing.  When my children were around two years old I attempted to draw my daughter sitting on a large log at a country market. 

 

While incomplete, I was particularly proud of my drawing [left] until I see it compared alongside the drawing of a 'real' artist [right]!  My perspective of my ability changes when compared alongside the ability of someone else. 




An under or over inflated view of ourselves is often right-sized when our self-image is compared with something or someone that redefines our perspective. Unfortunately, we live in a society where self-image takes a battering, but equally we live in a society that also has an over active ego!

Whatever our self-image looks like, a right image of God helps us to correct our image of ourselves.  It is only when we see ourselves for who we really are that we are able to reposition ourselves to become whom God intended us to be!

Just as a wrong perception of God will lead to a wrong perception of our selves, a right perception of God will enable us to see ourselves in perspective of His holiness.

As the prophet Isaiah's divine vision progresses from seeing "the Lord...high and exalted" (Isaiah 6:1), he moves from really seeing God, to really seeing himself: 

“Woe to me!” I cried, “I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” – Isaiah 6:5 

A vision of a Holy God exposes anything that is unholy!

From my experience and observation as a Corps Officer (Pastor), I have seen three primary responses that are in complete contrast to Isaiah’s response from people who have been exposed in some way by a vision of themselves:  Denial, Blame or Retreat… 

Denial is the unwillingness or inability to recognise anything that will challenge a person’s image of themselves.
Blame is the deflection onto someone or something else that we do not want to take ownership of ourselves.
Retreat is to remove ourselves from an environment where something about us is exposed that makes us feel uncomfortable or insecure.

In contrast to these three responses is that ‘aha’ moment that opens our eyes to new revelation that has potential life changing consequences if we have the humility to really see ourselves.

Isaiah had that ‘aha’ moment in the presence of a holy God!  When he really saw himself against the image of a holy God and humbled himself to confess that which was unholy, he experienced a cleansing that imparted God’s righteousness into this man, making him acceptable in the presence of a holy God.

King David sought this same cleansing after he had monumentally sinned against God in Psalm 51:10 – “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” 

This same cleansing is also available for you and I today as declared in 1 John 1:9 – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 

A clear vision of a holy God will enable you to see clearly who and where you are in your spiritual journey and if you humble yourself and embrace this vision, then you will reposition yourself for a divine encounter with a holy God who will make you righteous in His sight.

We can confidently and securely approach this holy God, because what He reveals to us is not to condemn us but to liberate us to become the people he has created us to be! 

“God is more just than any of us will ever be. He will not pretend or close a blind eye to our sinfulness. His holiness requires more than our brokenness can provide, yet He generously offers us life. When we turn to Him regardless of our condition, His gift to us is the same. In this regard He does not treat us differently. He loves us all with an everlasting love. You can choose to hold God’s generosity against Him, or you can receive the abundance of the life He offers.” - Erwin Raphael McManus “Uprising” p. 163

No comments:

Post a Comment